About Me

My photo
Welcome to the online blog for traveler/writer/photographer Steven Barber. Come in. Relax. Take off your shoes and socks -- or any other article of clothing, this is the internet. Have a look around. I hope to intrigue, amuse, entertain, and maybe provoke you just a little. I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Pic of the Day: Gassy Jack


One of my favorite places to spend time is in the Gastown district of Vancouver, BC.

The district, the oldest part of Vancouver, derives its name from "Gassy" Jack Deighton, who opened the area's first saloon in 1867. Today the cobblestone streets are lined with shops, residences and restaurants, as well as the annual Vancouver Jazz Festival.

Below is a statue of Gassy Jack, found in Gastown in the red brick Maple Tree Square.



No comments:

Post a Comment