About Me

My photo
Welcome to the online blog for traveler/writer/photographer Steven Barber. Come in. Relax. Take off your shoes and socks -- or any other article of clothing, this is the internet. Have a look around. I hope to intrigue, amuse, entertain, and maybe provoke you just a little. I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Monday, May 4, 2015

Pic of the Day: Another Day, Another Road




Some years ago we were working with a musician who was ordering updated copies of an old pre-released album of his. Unfortunately, he hadn't retained the artwork for the interior, and the quality of the original printing wouldn't allow us to simply scan and reuse it. The cover, a long road which rose to the top of a hill and turned off in both directions, was particularly dark.

I spent three days driving around Southern California to find just the right road for the cover, often pulling to the side and waiting for all cars to leave so that I could capture just the right empty road. I drove everywhere from Ojai to the Mojave Desert (and a lot of places in-between), but never quite satisfied the client. He went with a reprint of the original cover which, to be honest, looked cheap and ugly. His choice and his album.

On the other hand, I now have a large collection of road pictures in my archives which have proven useful several times in subsequent years.

Anybody up for a road trip?





1 comment: