About Me

My photo
Welcome to the online blog for traveler/writer/photographer Steven Barber. Come in. Relax. Take off your shoes and socks -- or any other article of clothing, this is the internet. Have a look around. I hope to intrigue, amuse, entertain, and maybe provoke you just a little. I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Monday, February 20, 2017

MICHELIN STARS



This morning brings word that a restaurant in rural France was
awarded a Michelin Star. Except that it wasn't. 

The owner of the bistro is taking it all in stride, but had this happened to a true Michelin starred restaurant, there would have been Hell to pay. To many restaurateurs the stars are catnip, and earning them can be both glorious and ruinous to a reputation.

According the Michelin, the stars are awarded in this way:


One star - Very good cooking in its category
Two stars - Excellent cooking, worth a detour
Three stars - Exceptional cuisine, worthy of a special journey


I have never had the privilege of dining in a Michelin-starred restaurant (to my knowledge). But it's a fascinating world of reviewers and restaurateurs. The pursuit of a star can be all-consuming, while the loss of one...well, devastating, or worse.

But it's always fascinating.



No comments:

Post a Comment