About Me

My photo
Welcome to the online blog for traveler/writer/photographer Steven Barber. Come in. Relax. Take off your shoes and socks -- or any other article of clothing, this is the internet. Have a look around. I hope to intrigue, amuse, entertain, and maybe provoke you just a little. I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Monday, January 12, 2015

Pic of the Day: Hooray for Hollywood!


Hollywood Boulevard

Even just the name conjures images of stardom and fame. Of the Academy. Of movie stars. Of the glamor of the thirties and forties and fifties -- Bogart, Bacall, Kelly, Astaire.

My first exposure to the idea of Hollywood came in reruns of I Love Lucy, when the Ricardos and Mertzes trekked across country so that Ricky could do a movie. It was in those shows I learned of the Brown Derby. Of moviemaking and the studios.

Decades later, when I moved to LA my eyes were admittedly a little starry, and my ambitions certainly so. But reality set in and despite a continuing but tenuous connection to movie and tv production, I have learned to live with tempered dreams. In a way this shot represents that for me: bright and glaring, with a little bit of false glitz.




No comments:

Post a Comment