About Me

My photo
Welcome to the online blog for traveler/writer/photographer Steven Barber. Come in. Relax. Take off your shoes and socks -- or any other article of clothing, this is the internet. Have a look around. I hope to intrigue, amuse, entertain, and maybe provoke you just a little. I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Pic of the Day: A Hackney'd Photo


Department Of "Wait, I Always Thought...":

I have always thought of the below vehicle is properly called a "Hansom Cab". That's what I've seen referenced, that's what they call it when you're approaching drivers in New York, New Orleans and other places they are found -- and that's what all of my friends and acquaintances seem to call it.

Only it's not.

In preparing today's Picture of the Day I ran across this shot in my archives of a New York "Hackney" carriage. Even the name of the digital file was "HansomCabCentralPark".

But in doing a bit more research for this little entry I've found a Hansom Cab is a two-wheeled conveyance -- much to my surprise.

(Here is a Hansom Cab, should you wish to see what it really is.)

Go figure...so,

This is a Hackney Cab, just off Central Park on a damp winter day.



No comments:

Post a Comment