About Me

My photo
Welcome to the online blog for traveler/writer/photographer Steven Barber. Come in. Relax. Take off your shoes and socks -- or any other article of clothing, this is the internet. Have a look around. I hope to intrigue, amuse, entertain, and maybe provoke you just a little. I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF IMAGE ALTERATION


No, I'm not going to be offering a Masterclass here, but wanted to share a bit more of the process.

In this case the image is a pretty good one, it just needs a bit more contrast and perhaps a color boost.

This is a windswept shoreline along Maui's northeastern shore, just off of the legendary "Road to Maui". This is a beautiful little cove and town, with a dramatic and spectacular lava rock shoreline.

Very picturesque. This little composition seemed evocative of the works of one of my favorite contemporary artists, James Coleman.  His early commercial works are beautiful and romanticized paintings of tropical settings.

So I was led to experiment on my own images to see if I could create such a work starting with one of my images. You'll need to click on each image to see it in more detail than the thumbnails below.



The original is a nice composition, but in need of color enhancement I think.



This is the enhanced image, which I think is rather nice and could easily be an illustration, perhaps for an article on dealing with inclement weather in paradise.



The final image is a creation using a dry brush filter to give it the appearance of a painting, with small tweaks to color and contrast.




Would love to know your thoughts. Please comment below.





No comments:

Post a Comment