About Me

My photo
Welcome to the online blog for traveler/writer/photographer Steven Barber. Come in. Relax. Take off your shoes and socks -- or any other article of clothing, this is the internet. Have a look around. I hope to intrigue, amuse, entertain, and maybe provoke you just a little. I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Thursday, April 6, 2017

A VIEW FROM THE AIR




Today marks the 93rd anniversary of the completion of the 

Marking this historic event shows how, in less than 100 years, we went from the early days of flight to today's use of aircraft as mass transit allowing millions of people each year to make journeys up to and including our own modern-day circumnavigation. 


Four aircraft and eight men took off from Santa Monica Four men and two aircraft (named Chicago and New Orleans, respectively) completed the entire journey.

I have yet to make my own such trip, but it is in the early planning stages. You will, of course, read about it here when it does come to fruition.

But first, a toast to the very first. Members of the American armed services, you have to wonder what they would think of today's giant jets, capable to journeys across the globe. I know they'd be proud to have helped usher in the true age of flight.







No comments:

Post a Comment