About Me

My photo
Welcome to the online blog for traveler/writer/photographer Steven Barber. Come in. Relax. Take off your shoes and socks -- or any other article of clothing, this is the internet. Have a look around. I hope to intrigue, amuse, entertain, and maybe provoke you just a little. I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

THE DAILY ESCAPE: Chief Cook


I found two brass door signs quite literally in the middle of the road just down the street from my house. Both appear to be from the interior of a ship. This one, for the Chief Cook's quarters, could hail from the cabin on some tramp steamer in decades gone by. It triggers the imagination, and takes me back to the early days of the 20th Century, when the world was still being explored and all things magical and wonderful occurred in the books of Jules Verne, Edgar Rice Burroughs and Arthur Conan Doyle.

Thankfully we can relive those days by reading those books and letting everyday things, such as the sign below, give us pause.




No comments:

Post a Comment