About Me

My photo
Welcome to the online blog for traveler/writer/photographer Steven Barber. Come in. Relax. Take off your shoes and socks -- or any other article of clothing, this is the internet. Have a look around. I hope to intrigue, amuse, entertain, and maybe provoke you just a little. I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Movin' Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams 


Just a quick jump-in to note that I'm off for a two day photo shoot in the Joshua Tree National Park. Never been there, though I've skirted it any number of times. The rock formations are reported to be stunning. If the weather improves (it's apparently rainy out there as I write) I plan on getting some night-sky shots of the desert. I will certainly be posting those here.

O-Dark Thirty
I may be a bit over-packed. I had planned on taking my trusty old film camera, a Nikon N6006, in the trip for the time exposure -- film is still inherently a better medium for such things -- but cannot find it. Most frustrating, and an indication I need to store my equipment better than it is now. (Most of the time it's securely in my camera bags. The largest bag, a backpack really, contains camera bodies, lenses and photo cards. The other has electric cords, recharges, etc. ) 

My photo gear outweighs my over night bag some fourfold. Fortunately it's a road trip, not a flight. Perhaps at some point in the future I might do an essay on equipment and transportation -- it's not a pretty picture in many cases (no pun intended). The backpack has traveled extensively. It's a neat way to keep the most valuable and fragile equipment safe, though a lot of photographers prefer the heavy duty metal bins for shipping the gear long distances. That tends to be more of a burden at the other end for me. I prefer being more mobile, but certainly understand it when you're dealing with a larger production, more equipment or heavier gear.

Watch the Twitter feed (@Thumbnailtravel) and the Facebook page for updates for the next couple of days. I'll try to be diligent, though if it's still raining the reports might be of a decidedly wet nature.

Catch you on the flip-side!


On the Road Again!


No comments:

Post a Comment